5/10/19 - Want to refresh your home without spending lots of money? I’ll show you how being a mad scientist will help!
It’s springtime, and that means new shoots, flowers, and leaves. This burst of color is a signal that it’s time to get creative and experiment!
Here’s a great example. My client – I’ll call her Virginia – has had a major remodel done to the main floor of her home. This remodel has affected the upstairs, which she’s been wanting to look at with fresh eyes. I’ve been helping her experiment with moving things around and creating new systems. The rooms are transforming over time, and she’s having great fun playing around with systems to help her de-clutter and organize papers, photos and memorabilia. Here’s her newly-liberated linen closet, which I helped her design.
BTW, you can do this anytime, even if you’ve lived in your home untouched for a number of years – just look at your home as if you were someone visiting for the first time. The main thing to remember is that it’s okay to release your inner mad scientist! Often times you won’t know what works until you actually try it.
Which clothing combo is right for your home?
Experimenting in your home is like trying on different outfits until you find the one that works for the occasion. Try different places in your home for décor, storage, papers, and desk work.
Here’s how you can use experimenting to help you get more organized:
· Try a system for a week and notice how it’s working. A system can be as small as a shelf or a drawer. Tweak the system and try again, for example “how to shave 5 mins off our morning routine”.
· When looking at your space, try and picture it empty; this may give you new ideas for uses and layout.
· Get the family involved! Make it fun by gamifying sorting and organizing, or making it part of family time. What systems work for them? How can you help them improve their systems?
· Experiment with different ways of organizing your papers until you find one that works. My clients, for example, find that calendarizing monthly or weekly filing is a tremendous help.
Do you long to feel peaceful in your home?
How does Virginia feel now that we’re partway through this project? “With the remodel, everything was in a jumble and I felt stuck. The suggestions that Ellia made for moving furniture completely changed things, and now my office and bedroom are delightful to be in! Working with Ellia has made such a difference – I feel so much more at peace!”
Need a Mad Scientist in your life?
If you need a fresh pair of eyes to help you see new possibilities, let’s schedule a free 20-minute phone consult to talk. It’s possible you can achieve your goal in as little as one hour through a virtual session. Contact me at Ellia@MindfulOrganizing.NET with a few windows of time that work for you, and your time zone.
You can get more posts like this in my bi-weekly newsletter: sign up here
- Messy home, smothered by clutter?
- A never-ending to-do list?
- Scatterbrained and trouble focusing?
- STRESSED AND OVERWHELMED?
Let me help you be more organized and productive!
My clients are organized at heart, but they have difficulty clearing the clutter in their home or their head. If you, too, are ready to get organized, be more productive, and improve the quality of your life, I can help you.
Virtual Coaching - 1 hour video call for organizing or productivity issues, anywhere
Onsite Coaching - 3 hour session for organizing and productivity issues, in the Seattle area
Packages - 6 or 12 discounted sessions, either Virtual or Onsite
Not sure which option is best for you? Contact me to arrange a free, 20-minute phone consultation: Ellia@MindfulOrganizing.NET or Click here to learn about my organizing and productivity coaching services.